My Workbench

Monday, June 12, 2017

Banned From TMP

Another blogger friend jmilesr "Lair of the Ubber Geek" had a post with a similar title a few days ago. It seems he got sucked into a divisive trolling thread initiated by the Editor of The Miniatures Page Bill Armintrout. There were actually two threads, one on the Wargaming in the UK board entitled Wargaming: "A British Hobby?" http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=453973, and one on the Wargaming in the US board with the title "Arrogant America  Gamers" http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=454023. Regardless of the titles, both threads were an attempt by Armintrout to get support for his contention that British gamers are arrogant and intolerant of anyone not British. I followed the links to both of these threads and was stunned. I would not have believed the Editor would do something like this. There were almost as many "deleted" post as there were remaining posts. The overwhelming consensus of response was that the complaints the Editor outlined did not in fact exist, on either shore of the Atlantic. Many accused him of baiting and trolling, stirring the pot, etc. The more adamant comments disagreeing with Armintrout are being deleted by him. The more persistent comments trying to speak reason and calling for him to end such divisive threads are being banned from TMP, like jmilesr and now myself. It is almost like the man has been possessed by some demon. What he is doing is nothing short of evil. Many good folks who contribute a lot to our miniatures community are being stifled and banned from TMP. Well it is his website and he can live with what is left of it after he drives his advertisers and membership away. There are other websites with more civil editors I am told.

Knowing I was likely to get myself 86'd for civilly disagreeing with him, I quickly posted on the Age of Sail board a goodbye to all of my friends with a parting suggestion that they all peruse the two divisive threads for their own education about the Editor. but Armintrout deleted it and locked my account before anyone could read it.

So now this blog is it for communication, until I find another suitable forum to post to. There is still the SOG Anchorage site though it is limited to mostly Sails of Glory fans of which I am not, but they are all really good people, from all over the world I might add, no National arrogance, no ethnic stuffiness Mr. Armintrout!

8 comments:

jmilesr said...

Welcome to the "TMP banned" club. I would suggest you try the lead adventurers forum.

It's really sad what bill is doing to TMP, but it his choice to drive it off the cliff. All we can do is decide if we want to get out of the car

Miles - AKA jmilesr from the Lair of the Uber Geek

El Grego said...

I'll second the above suggestion!

And, thank you for the comment on my blog - I appreciate it.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

No thanks required Greg. I am just sorry I was not more observant and so late with my condolences. I am glad you seem to be progressing through it now, back doing the hobby again.

Vol

Bill said...

I quit TMP years ago due to the unpleasantness of a few people. Unfortunately it was about a month after subscribing for a year. LAFis where I spend my time now and I don't regret it a bit. I've heard good things about The Wargames Website, but their forum interface doesn't do much for me.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Bill. I did join LAF a couple of days ago and am still figuring out where everything is and how it works. There doesn't appear to be any age of sail naval wargaming interest there that I can discover.
Regards,
Vol

El Grego said...

Vol, I intend to put naval posts in the following areas on LAF - triremes go in Ancients, Armada in Pikes & Muskets, Age of Sail in Age of Big Battalions, etc. Not much naval going on at LAF, but maybe we can help change that.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

I will check it out Greg. I posted the Chesapeake build on TWW in the Naval forum there and have had some interest. I think the editor Mike might consider forming a child board if there is enough interest. Apparently he has done this before where interest warrants it. Perhaps we can work on the LAF editor as well. TMP should not be the only game in town!
Regards,
Vol

Unknown said...

Good lord, I leave for the weekend and all hell breaks loose. I just saw Rory's post that you were banned, so I came here hoping to find out what happened. This is SgtPrylo of waterloominis, btw. I'm sorry to hear that this whole thing went the way it did. Doesn't make much sense, but these things never do. TMP has been a useful resource for me in many instances, I may have to rethink that...

Jeff (SgtPrylo)