My Workbench

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Langton Ship Rigged Xebec Frigate

I finally got around to building the xebec frigate. Thank you again Rob Eubank for the small frigate sail set to go with it. I made the lateen driver because none of the lateen sail set sails were the size I wanted. This Langton model is supposed to be 32 guns, but I only count 26 guns and ports total. All of the paintings and drawings I could find of this type of rigged xebec show a single bowsprit without jib boom and much shorter than the sprit plus jib boom in the SF sail set, so I made one. None show any spritsail yard and sail. The drawings and definition of poleacres show the masts as single poles except for the mizzen which is two pieces. I opted to use the SF set masts. Anyway here are some photos of my version. There is just something about the lines of a xebec that I like. They look so cool! Hope you like. 















2 comments:

Paul Howes said...

Did they have Bow and Stern guns like most other ships of her class?
As it turned out looking rather cool ,i would call it a success!Well Done. BB

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Hi BB,
Not sure about the bow & stern guns. I was going for the El Gamo that Cochrane's little 14 gun brig sloop HMS Speedy took March 19, 1801. The El Gama had 32 guns: 8, 12 & 24 pounders to Speedy's little 4 pounders.
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/hms-speedy-captured-el-gamo-3-times-size-5-times-crew.html