My Workbench

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Scratchbuilt Halifax Schooners Part II

This is the update I promised when I first posted my scratch building experiment on the very small Halifax Schooners (only 9/16 inch long: Not easy! I am sure if my hands were steadier and my eyesight better, I could have done better job. I should have made the masts taller, along with a few other small mistakes. Having never done anything this small before, I was sort of just feeling my way along, referring to numerous photos, drawings and paintings on the internet. Here is the first one rigged. The second one is slightly different with a poop deck and even shorter masts, with rigging just started.







Comparison with 100 gun SOL Queen Charlotte

Rigging just started on schooner two
Thanks for looking.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You have done a great work here!
I love the picture with Queen Charlotte, the schooner is tiny!

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thank you Julian. Yes tiny, very difficult. Not up to your standards I'm afraid, so thanks for the nice comment.

Phil said...

Very nice job, great details!

JTW said...

Vol, I'm just now catching up with your blog. This is a fantastic idea, and such a fantastic execution! I love it. Can I ask what your source of ships' plans are for these projects?

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Hello James
Most of these I found searching Pinterest. A lot I get from the Royal Museum Geenwich http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections.html#!csearch;authority=subject-90352
I have accumulated hundreds of plans now. If you want one and I have it, you are welcome to it.
Regards,
Vol
PS: Almost done with the Chesapeake, started making the shroud/ratlines tonight. Hopefully done in a few days.