My Workbench

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Pyro USS Constitution

It has been a while since I posted a build. This is a Pyro vintage kit I bought on e-bay last year. At waterline the model is 4-1/2 inches. The Constitution was 175 feet at waterline making this model actually 1:467 scale.

I cut the hull side pieces down to waterline prior to assembling. I also saved the lower hull for later.
I cut the flag off of the Main T'gallant because it was pointed stern-wards against the wind (why do manufacturers make this silly mistake?) The model comes with spars only so I made the sails from the same pencil art paper I make all my sails with.




There weren't enough cannon to place two chasers at the stern so I used Super Sculpy to make a mold of the cannon that came with the model, then made more guns.


 I had to make a jig out of an old debit card to make the ratlines.





The blocks are made from small painted beads I found at Hobby Lobby.
Here she is.











With Langton 1:1200 Constitution

Set on the bottom hull section for display

8 comments:

DaveD said...

Very nicely done

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Dave

Stew said...

That’s a really excellent model: simply gorgeous.
I’m also really impressed with those techniques like making cannons. Your such a role model. 😀

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Stew, my wife would like me to do something about those roles 🙄

JTW said...

Awesome work Vol, very cool! Now she just needs an HMS Guerriere of the same scale to hang out with...

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Ha, thanks James. Don't think anyone makes a Guerriere unfortunately. Oh BTW they are talking about you and your blog over on the SOG Anchorage
https://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?5219-On-the-subject-of-Mediterranean-ships

BrianW said...

Vol,
That looks way nicer than I would ever have thought that model could look! You are a master craftsman.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Brian, appreciate that. Don't believe it, but nice to hear 🙄🤔
Had a couple of xebecs almost finished when I had to leave again. I will be putting them up here when I get back.
Regards,
Vol