My Workbench

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

1/450 Scale Frigate Guerriere

Guerriere was a French 38 gun frigate launched in 1799 and commissioned in 1800. She was captured from the French, after a hard fought battle, by HMS Blanche on July 19, 1806. She had an eventful career up until the War of 1812. She is most famous for her fight during that war with the USS Constitution. Too badly damaged for a prize after the battle, Guerriere was set on fire the following day.

The Guerierre mounted 18pdrs on the gun deck, 32 pounder carronades and 12 pounders on the quarter deck and forecastle. At the time of the action with Constitution the Guerierre boasted 44 guns with a broadside of 526lbs. She mustered 244 men and 19 boys at quarters. There is a plethora of information, accounts and art available on line and in libraries about this final action so I will not add to it here. 

Some ships I printed in 1/450 scale to go with my Pyro plastic USS Constitution model. Tob to bottom is Simon Mann's Constellation, Intrepid Razee, Pallas (Guerierre), and Henry Turner's brig Niagra and hermaphrodite schooner Prince de Neufchatel.

the 3D print of Pallas modeled as HMS Guerierre




Mast and topmast going together

Adding the t'gallant mast

Making the bow sprit and boom

Cutting the trees

Mounting the trees

The sails are made from lined school notebook paper


Sails going on the mizzen


The furled sails are sculpted from Super Sculpy



All of my sails get tied on with just a touch of super glue at the knots


The first part of the standing rigging is done and the ratlines are drying




Done!
And the beauty shots










I know that in the last post I teased a few photos of a Sci-fi project I had started with printing Babylon 5 ships. Well I did a little more and then the urge to build sailing ships hit me again, sorry, what else can I say. I may get back to it again this winter. Here is where I left off



Until the next post, I hope everyone continues to enjoy this great hobby!

OOPS! I was so anxious to finish Guerriere that I mounted her French colors instead of the intended British ensign! Dang!

With the correct British ensign



8 comments:

Phil said...

Impressive details, congrats!

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thank you Phil

Stew said...

Terrific job on the ship. Looks superb. Is it hard to change out the colors or is it now. French ship forever? 😀

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Changing it out now Stew, haha. Can't believe I did it, gettin' old I guess! 🙄

El Grego said...

Beautiful. I appreciate the plethora of pics showing your progress.

And B5 looks good as well!

caveadsum1471 said...

Lovely frigate, I can see why you were drawn back to it!
Best Iain

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

I do like that word plethora!

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Iain