My Workbench

Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Small Basalt Atoll Island

 This was a very quick scratch island in 1/1200 scale. I made it from an old CD, a piece of landscape bark from the front garden and Celluclay. It is supposed to represent a more recent black basalt atoll with little vegetation. 


Neither of these is the exact piece I used but are two more similar that I picked up from the garden










So as you can see I am really bored. With all of this hot weather I have been stuck inside. I have:
  1. Watched a lot of TV 
  2. Printed a lot of Babylon 5 starships and even painted a few
  3. I steeled myself to finish the Bounty (last post)
  4. Made this island
  5. Half heartedly started several ships, all 3D prints. Three 1/1200 Russian SOLs and five 1/700 hulls including HMS Ontario snow, two Cherokee class brigs and two American Prince de Neufchatel modified schooners.
Left: 1/1200 Russian 66, St Pavel 92, Russian 100
Right: 1/700 Cherokee class 10 gun brig, Ontario 22 gun snow, Prince de Neufchatel 18 gun schooner

As an after thought from the comments here is one of the painted B5 ships, a Minbari Sharlin class heavy cruiser at 53mm














15 comments:

El Grego said...

Very nice.

The B5 ships sound interesting also.

Stew said...

You ARE bored. Lol
That a cool island model but the harbor entrance is really narrow. Don’t let the Midshipman steer that one!

Just out of curiosity; what scale are the Babylon 5 ships? I just started collecting Star Trek in 1/7000. I never watched B5 though.

Amazons LoTR Rings of Power starts soon. 😀

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Yeah they are. I started marathoning the new digitally mastered 4kHD B5 on HBO Max. I had forgotted how very cool all of the different species' ships were. So I went looking and found all of the .stl files free on thingyverse.com.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Haha yeah I am! The little inlet is really for rowing skiffs. I just didn't have any unbased boats to use for the pics.
Babylon 5: Well my printer bed is 22cm square. The B5 station is 5 miles long or 8km. So I printed it at 20cm to fit my bed. That puts the capital ships at 5-6cm, heavy cruisers at 4-5cm, and destroyers at 3-4cm. It works out to 1/40,000 scale.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Greg, I updated the post with some pics of one of the B5 ships

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Stew, I updated the post with pics of one of the B5 ships. If you like scifi, you really should watch it. Babylon 5 and the newer Battlestar Galactica were the best! And now we have the Expanse!

Lasgunpacker said...

Nice work on the atoll, and very intrigued by the B5 ships... the Sharlin is one of my favorite ships ever, so it is great to see one.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks David. Yes the Minbari and Vorlon ships are my favorites. I am halfway through season four now.

Stew said...

I might have to watch B5. I never have but since Star Trek and DS9 vanished from Netflix I need some good sci-fu in my life. My problem is that I hate learning new fake universes. 😀

caveadsum1471 said...

Great looking island and nice looking spaceship!
Best Iain

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Iain

El Grego said...

That Sharlin is looking good.

Unfortunately (or fortunately lol) I have no space for a resin printer at the moment...

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Actually Greg I have a PLA printer. It's a Ender 5 Pro. I love it.

El Grego said...

Oh... That is a really nice print then; very curious now!

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

I printed some 1/700 Napy ships for a friend back east and he said they were as good as any resin print he had purchased. And they aren't brittle. I think it has a lot to do with the new ironing feature with the slicer program I'm using.