My Workbench

Friday, October 14, 2016

Scratchbuilding Experiment - Halifax Schooners

My last post I talked about getting the itch to scratch build something. I wanted to see how small I could go and make it still look like a ship. The smallest plan I printed was the 58 foot Halifax schooner. At 1/1200 scale that is 9/16" for the deck.

Halifax Schooner Plans at 1/1200 scale
The next step was to cut out the deck and both left and right profiles, Since there were two sets, I decided to make two with variations. I glued the decks to 1/16" balsa then cut them out with a sharp blade. I used a small file to clean them up. I also cut out and glued a small poop deck to one of the boats. Next step was to glue the profiles to the deck sides.

After they dried I had to cut two stern plates out of some thin card stock. I made them each slightly different. I glued them to the stern of each model. After they dried I colored the hull sides with a sepia marker and painted the bulwarks, rails and decks. As an after thought I cut a coupld of cabins to add to the decks and painted them as well.

Next I built masts for one of the boats then cut sails out to fit. I built the second mast set taller than the first, mainly because I think the sails to fit the first mast set are too small, but maybe not, I'm not sure at this scale. The masts for the second boat are also one gauge size smaller.

First boat before afterthought cabin.
Once the sails were formed I attached just the after sails to see how it would look.

The sails on the left boat will be larger

Bases are 30MM x 40MM
This is as far as I've gotten and I am not sure I am going to like the results as well as with the larger vessels.  I will either add to this post as I progress or start a new post. Suggestions? Which way would be better?


3 comments:

jmilesr said...

Superb work - I need to get back to some 1/1200's again

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Miles. As I said, I'm not sure how it will turn out, and now I will have to wait a couple of weeks before I can get back to it when I come home from work.

reston668 said...

Good lord! I find my 1/600 BRIGS painfully tiny! That's some impressive work.