My Workbench

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Dragonsdawn Booknook

 My oldest daughter loved the book nook I made her for Christmas so much that she asked for another one for her birthday, in two days! This time she wanted a theme based on Anne McCaffrey's Pern, another book series she loved growing up. I started it two weeks ago and modeled it after the Dragondawn book cover art by Michael Whelan.


Full painting by Michael Whelan

This was a real challenge for me since I am not an artist or sculptor. I thought about it for some time and decided to go with a 3D flat image effect for the figures. I started by rough cutting out the girl and dragonets. I glued the girl to some 7/16" basswood, then cut the figure out with a xacto knife, and sanded the edges smooth. I painted the exposed edges to match the front. The dragonets were glued to some cerial box cardboard scrap and cut out. The wings, tail, and heads were bent to give more of a 3D impression.



Next I glued up some packing foam scraps to form the cave. I filled in the gaps with watered down vinyl spackle, and sealed the whole thing with Mod Podge.


I used cosclay to make three of the larger tree trunks.



I had to make an attempt at a sort of alien landscape painting for the inside of the box.


My second attempt at the landscape and I called it good.






I worked in the trees, usinf the ones I made and some more made from weeds and wood putty.


The lighting consists of a yellow and two white LED chip lights, a coin battery pack and a secondary pushbutton switch mounted through the front.











I decoupaged three of Michael Whelan's cocept drawings to the outside case.


And an alternate bookcover to the otherside, not wanting to duplicate what is inside.


I hope she likes it!






8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another absolutely stunning piece! I am sure that yur Daughter will Love & Treasure it for decades. Thanks for sharing yur build. That is just Inspiring.
~ TT

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thank you TT

El Grego said...

Very nice - the flats do not look out of place at all.

Jonathan Freitag said...

Another stunning piece of art, no doubt. Great job!

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

I have seen a lot of other folks use flats to good effect. This was my first.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Jon

caveadsum1471 said...

Awesome piece of work, great finish!
Best Iain

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Iain