My Workbench

Sunday, April 14, 2024

3D Minas Tirith in 1/3000 Scale

While I had the printer up and running, after printing all of the 1/2400 WWII ships I needed, I printed three LOTR iconic locations: Minas Tirith, Barad-Dur, and Orthanc in 1/3000 scale. Actually Barad-Dur is a much smaller scale, but is about the same size as the Minas Tirith model so they can sit on a shelf together. I was surprised at how large Barad-Dur was and how small Orthanc was compared to Minas Tirith. In the books Orthanc is 500 feet tall. Minas Tirith is 1,663 feet tall, and Barad-Dur is a monstrous 4,482 feet! At 1/3000 scale that would make it 18 inches tall. Who has that kind of shelf space?



Here is Minas Tirith






The book describes the first wall as black, made from the same stone as Orthanc.
The movie ignored this.









5 comments:

Lawrence H said...

They have come out very well. I am amazed at the detail on them. How long did they take to print Vol?

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Minas Tirith took 28 hours. Barad-Dur 32 hours. Orthanc was just 53 minutes.

Stew said...

Nice shelf decoration. 😀

Anonymous said...

Excellent bookshelf terrain features!
Best Iain

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

I always wanted one, but couldn't afford the commercial models.