My Workbench

Sunday, August 25, 2024

Nelson's Fagship HMS Vanguard

 


This is my version of Nelson's fagship HMS Vanguard, as she appeared at the Battle of the Nile on 1-3 August 1798 in Aboukir Bay near Alexandria. The colors are based on Rod Langton's book, Reference 2



The hull is a 3D Arrogant class 74 from Simon Mann, printed in 1/450 scale.

I actually painted the hull several months ago and built the masts. But then they were set aside for WWII naval projects. Then the working season hit, and I spent little time in the
dungeon. Several super hot days were spent inside, and Vanguard was screaming in the wings to be built.


Tracing out the cloth sails

Creating the furled sail mold

finished furled sails




This is the point I realized the sails are too small
The template I used was for a large frigate!

The correct 3rd rate sails are traced

All of the previous spars and sails have been removed and salvaged

New spars cut

Spars with stuns'l spars prepaired

Ah, now that looks like a third rate



Standing rigging started

I didn't have a jig large enough for the main shroud/ratlines, so I had to makea jig from two expired sandwiched insurance cards

Ratlines applied


Here are the beauty shots with the running rigging on.










5 comments:

Lawrence H said...

Beautiful work Vol. I really like the step-by-step photo progression. Is this for gaming or display?

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

At this large scale, probably display. Though I have seen some 1/450 games played with modified Airfix models, so it could be a possibility. I have three now in that scale.

Stew said...

Looks great Vol. 3rd rates are my favorite. 😁

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Stew. I'm not sure that I have any favorites. I like to build them all. 1-3 rates are great for fleet actions, but I do like the smaller frigate and Great Lakes schooner fights.