My Workbench

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Davco 36 Gun Spanish Frigate Ninfa

I had another frigate in the dry dock for my Spanish fleet. I finished it a month ago but never got around to posting it. This is another Davco model and not as well molded as others I've built, more like a Navwar model.

The Ninfa was a 36 gun 5th rate Spanish frigate built in 1795. The Ninfa was captured by HMS Irresistible 74 and HMS Emerald 36 April 26, 1797. The Ninfa was taken into the Royal Navy and renamed HMS Hamadryad. She was 960 tons.
Armament:
Upper gun deck 26 x 12 pounders
Quarterdeck: 8 x 6 pounders, 6 x 32 pound carronades
Forecastle: 2 x 6 pounders, 2 x 32 pound carronades

The finished hull
The sails are painted and spars set
Finishing touches detailing the sails 
Masts & Sails set
OOPS!  I usually get the ratlines on before this.
Making the ratlines



One finished ratline, 11 more to go











Next to the Salvador del Mundo 112 gun



4 comments:

Tangarex said...

Did Davco have their website?
I can't find it.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Davco went out of business several years ago. I picked up several Davco and Navwar packs from a friend in Arizona a year or so ago. The detail quality is somewhere between GHQ and Navwar, usually closer to GHQ.
Regards,
Vol

NerdWargamer said...

Did you tie the actual sails with thread. I am not talking about the black or tan rigging lines.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Yes. Refer to https://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/2018/04/making-sails-for-wargaming-ship-models.html?m=0
And scroll down to the 20th picture, caption describes tying the clew line around the mast.