My Workbench

Sunday, August 17, 2014

2MM Troops for 1/1200 Scenarios

I have been kicking the idea around for a long time what scale figures would be appropriate for 1/1200 Napoleonic Naval shore scenarios. I went with 2MM on the recommendation of a few folks on TMP. I purchased horse & Musket troops from Irregular Miniatures and some buildings. First off, the 2MM buildings are way too small for 1/1200 scale. They are way too small for the 2MM troops as well. But I think the troops look OK. I have only painted a few to see how they look in the Port/Harbor. What do you think?






I still have more to do:







It would be nice to find some singles or loose formation skirmishers to be sailors and marines but I didn't see anything like that at Irregular Minis. No one else I know does 2MM.

7 comments:

Mike C said...

That's a really good little port you have there, really inspirational. I love the little wagon in the gate esp.

gingerbhoy said...

Irregular have some Skirmishing troops in the Ancient range. Obviously they are not horse and musket period, but the sculpting is so minute upon the 2mm miniatures you could probably paint them up as wearing uniform, and from a distance, not be able to tell that they are actually from a differing range.
I believe there is some photo's of the skirmishing troops on their website.

Anonymous said...

They do look nice! And tiny. Looking forward to an image of the complete set up.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Wargamingraft,
Lots of pics of the complete port are on this blogsite. Look for posts with French Port. There is a post for how it was constructed, then post updates as additions were made.

jmilesr said...

I've been tempted by the 2mm scale troops - how do they look on the table when playing?

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Jmilesr,
Haven't tried playing them yet. KMH has shore and cutting out rules I would like to try eventually. I have never seen a 2MM game. At that size though, I would think you could play Waterloo on a 4x4 card table. As for looks, as r.a.e. gingerbhoy points out, you could paint ancient troops with napy uniforms and never know the difference at this scale.

Dan said...

Hello,
really nice match!
Since you too say that 2mm buildings are too small for 1:1200, maybe they could be good for 1:2400? I have read in some blog that they could match quite nicely.
In fact, I'm trying to find some buildings/harbour for Tumbling Dice Napoleonic Ships and was thinking to try some 2mm Irregular buildings, as it is hard to find something else for that scale...I also looked for some 1:3000 harbour pieces for Navwar, but there aren't much pictures around to see if they fit well...
Thank you