My Workbench

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Black Seas American Brig

I moved on to one of the brigs in the Black Seas US Squadron pack. The modifications I made are:
1) Cut the spars away from the masts and dress the masts.
2) Cut the two pieces of the furled main course sail away from the plastic spar remnants.
3) Cut and dress new spars using 0.32 music wire.
4) Glued the two pieces of the furled sail to the new main course spar. Filled the gap with green stuff putty and sculpted it to match the rest of the sail.
5) Cut two gun hatches in a piece of 60# card, fitted and glued it to the inside of the taff rail at the stern. (As it turned out this detail really wasn't necessary since the driver and all the rigging make it difficult to see anyway.)
6) Cut out two card hatch covers and glued them to the outside of the stern, matching the inside hatch locations.
7) Mounted a fife rail aft of the main mast base to tie off the brace lines from the foremast spars. (Next one I will do the same at the foremast.)
8) Extended all of the fighting tops
9) Made the ratlines with the new jig




















Heading into the Mediterranean 



12 comments:

Jonathan Freitag said...

This sure is a beauty! Your jig for making ratlines is ingenious.

Phil said...

Wonderful ships and gorgeous pictures!

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Jonathan.
Hey I wanted to ask you a question. Do you know anyone that will do 3D printing? Henry Turner and Simon Mann are producing some awfully nice ship files I want to try.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thank you my friend

Stew said...

So only a few modifications, barely any really... lol

Super nice job! Looks amazing. It almost makes me want to redo my whole AoS in this scale. Almost. 😀
How many more of these you got to go?

Jonathan Freitag said...

RE 3D printing: The Spokane public library has several 3D printers available for free. Once they open up, give them a call.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

I had no idea! Ok then, if they have a resin printer I may give it a try. I have no clue how to operate one.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Two 38's, two 44's, five more brigs, and three 74's. I will most likely cut up the brigs to make corvettes, sloops of war, cutters, etc. Seems to be the common practice since there are so many of them.
But......it will be a while before I can get back to them. I took a commission from an old hobby friend to bash four Sails of Glory ships for him. He included a box of 23 Langton hulls and sail sets as payment!

Jonathan Freitag said...

"I had no idea! Ok then, if they have a resin printer I may give it a try. I have no clue how to operate one."

The library staff will show you how to operate the printer and help get everything set up and running correctly. All you need is the plan file.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

They supply the resin too? Wow!Sounds like you have done this a time or two.
I will definitely take your advice. Thanks Jonathan

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Jonathan, my wife just pointed out that we live in Stevens County so the Spokane County Public Library won't allow us to join. She went down that road with our kids when they were younger. So this may or may not work. I will still try.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Ok I found out the library does not do resin, only plastic filament. So I'm still searching.