My Workbench

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Sails of Glory Commission

Recently I took on a commission from an old hobby friend in Arizona. Several years ago I kit bashed two SOG ships for Gunner (refer to the Ares label on my home page). He paid me a great compliment the other day and asked if I would be willing to do four more specific ships for him. The package arrived last Saturday. Opening this package was like opening every other package I have ever recieved from Gunner,  Christmas! To backtrack a bit, all of the Davco and Navwar, plus many of the GHQ hulls I have, arrived in packages from Gunner. This package was no different. In it was the four commission ships:

HMS Agamemnon 

USS Constitution 

Bonhomme Richard

Ville de Varsovie 

In addition the package contained Gunner's generous idea of payment: Another SOG Constitution, an as yet unidentified SOG third rate, several small bags of 1/1200 scale buildings and a few Langton ancient ships. But the main candy was the two large bags. One contained 20 plus packs of Langton Napoleonic ships and the other large bag was full of Langton sail sets, several of which were the older discontinued studding and full sail white metal sets. A small bag of various etched brass sail sets and two packs of Davco frigate sails were also there. 


Wow! I was in mini ship heaven! Haha, like I really need more unbuilt ships! But you can never have too many minis! Right? Help me out here!

The first ship Gunner wants is the Ville de Varsovie.


Note the spanker and jib/stay sails are blowing in the opposite directions. Of the four ships, only the Constitution is correct.

So it appears there will be a bit of a delay  for the rest of the Black Seas ships while I knock these SOG ships out for Gunner.




8 comments:

Stew said...

Wow! That is quite a payment! And you are correct, one can never have too much unpainted lead lying around.

Though if you feel overwhelmed I have some Black Seas ships I’ll trade ya for... 😀

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Haha, well when I get done with these SOG ships, and if you're serious, maybe we can talk about that. What I have been thinking about are all the beautiful 3D 1/700 ships Henry Turner and Simon Mann are producing. The resin prints I have seen are perfect. They are using plans when they can get them and educated guesses when they can't. I have been looking for someone willing to print for me. I'm afraid I am just too old to learn something that complicated.🤔😕

Stew said...

Well, I was only being half serious but it is truth that I do have the box set and an extra constitution that I got for Christmas that I am Never gonna use. I don’t need to do the age of sail in 2 scales. I will eventually sell them so if you’re interested in the future we can arrange favorable terms.
😀

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Box set? Is that the Master & Commander box set? Frigates and brigs only? I may pass on that. The Constitution I would be interested in to go with the President and United States.

Paul Howes said...


You will see small ships a sailing upon the high seas in your sleep Vol, with all those ships to rig out in rope and sail and guns. It is always good to help out friends because it kind'da gives one a real buzz! Looking at your small scale sailing ships and boats I can see plainly that you do splendid stuff and have a great hobby-style life.

Stay Safe,Stay Well. BB

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks for the nice comment BB. Looking at the meticulous detail you put into your Soldier's Cottage I am impressed by your skills as well.

Stew said...

Yes, the master and commander set. No big deal.
However you can have the constitution box for the low low price of sending me an email.
Stewart dot Blain with the Gmail. 😀

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

E-mail sent, hope I got it right