My Workbench

Monday, November 25, 2013

Navwar 32 Gun Dutch Frigates

These are the last two ships of my Dutch fleet of 10 ships. The Navwar frigates are from very poor molds and were so difficult to fix and paint that I gave up trying to make them look as good as the other ships and just hurried through the rigging to get done with them. Navwar says they are models of the 32 gun Heldin of 1796. Armament listed as 24 x 12 pounders on the gun deck and 8 x 6 pounders on the quarterdeck. There are in fact 12 ports to a side making 24 on the gun deck. But there are no guns at all on the quarterdeck or forecastle. I don't know where else 8 x 6 pounders could hide. So these two ships appear to be 24 gun frigates, not 32. Typical of Navwar it seems. I have yet to find one of their models with the number of guns they list.
The Kit
 Flimsy masts and sails discarded. Scratch built masts are much sturdier.
 Spankers and Jibs retained. New sails made from black poster card contoured over a pencil. Spars made from 302/304 Stainless Steel safety tie wire.


Standing rigging done
 The finished frigates








Next on my list is to either finish the two islands I've started, or to start on my future Spanish fleet.






No comments: