My Workbench

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

1/700 Scale Danish 60-gun Ship Holsteen

This is one of Henry Turner's resin 3D prints, the 60-gun Danish SOL Holsteen. The Holsteen was the only ship from the first battle of Copenhagen in 1801 that was taken into the British Royal Navy where she was renamed HMS Nassau.

This is a beautiful model that had some slight damage during shipping, i.e. the catheads, lanterns and a few guns were broken off. I made the necessary repairs. But the biggest challenge was to figure a way to provide tie-off points for the rigging. I had to devise railing using common staples and screen. I think it all turned out nicely. 

The rails for tie-offs I added plus a repaired breakout at a hole I tried to drill

This is my inspiration photo, the 90-gun Christian VII.


Sails and standing rigging

The finished model

I am not sure what I am doing next. I will probably do some much needed reorganizing of my dungeon space first.

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

New Box of 1/700 Ships

 Today I picked up my first order from Mann of War Miniatures (Simon Mann). 

Purisima Conception post 1791 112-guns

San Jose 112-guns

Tonant/Bucentaure 80-guns

1/700 scale anchors
Comparison with Warlord anchors on the left, MWM on the right

These models are beautifully detailed and sturdy, and best of all there appears to be places for rigging tie-off. I will report more on that as I get into building them. 

So currently I am working on one of Henry Turner's 3D models, the Danish 60-gun Holsteen:

After that I have eleven more of Henry's, six of Simon's FDM prints and now three resin prints, and four of his 1/1200 resin prints. Not to mention the seven additional Warlord Games Black Seas ships awaiting my attention. The there is the one hundred or so metal 1/1200 ships of various make and a dozen or so scratchbuilt hulls in various stages of construction also waiting patiently. One can never have too many minis, right?

Friday, January 8, 2021

1/700 San Juan Nepomuceno 74 Gun Spanish SOL

This is the finished 3D FDM Simon Mann Montanes hull Peter Lowe recently sent me. I may have mentioned his partner is a great granddaughter of Cosmao Cherrucca, Captain of the San Juan Nepomuceno. So I modeled this hull as that ship to send to Pete as thanks for his generosity.

Inspiration pics:

To begin with these FDM prints are not as detailed as the resin prints, which actually make them quite sturdy for handling and gaming. One of the things they are missing is stern lanterns. On previous prints, like the HMS Captain, I replaced broken off lanterns with new ones made of fishing line and PVA glue. This time I tried something that came to me in a dream. I turned lanterns from .040" Polystyrene rod using my Dremel tool with a needle file and bit of 400 grit sandpaper. a small hole was drilled in the bottom and a length of 20lb test monofilament nylon fishing line was inserted and glued as a method to attach the lanterns to the stern. I think they turned out better than the previous method.

Panted with yellow glow in the dark paint I "borrowed" from my daughter

Build sequence photos:

And the completed ship:

Comparison shot with a Warlord Games Black Seas 3rd rate

Comparison shot with Henry Turner's resin 3D HMS Captain

There was a bit of a mix up with the bases due to some delayed communications between Pete and I. He lost his broadband while I was asking him what type of base he wanted - Question: Display or gaming? Answer: Gaming; Question: Wood sea base or clear acrylic textured? (Com loss)! So I started working on this sea base:

Then communication was resumed long enough to get the answer that he wanted the clear acrylic textured base. Fortunately I had not yet attached the ship to the sea base, so I changed direction and made the clear base.

The sea mat color is not showing through because the protective film is still on the bottom of the base for shipping.

The ship was packed up and shipped off this afternoon and should get to Pete in the next 10 to 12 days. I sure hop it arrives in tact. For packing I cut two rigid Styrofoam blocks to fit a small box. I used a hot knife to carve out each side to fit the sails, spars, hull and base. the ship was sandwiched in the block. The block taped around then placed in the box using double sided tape to hold it to the bottom. Then that box was set inside a larger box with bubble wrap all around then sealed up, labeled and shipped. 

My next endeavor will be the Danish 74 Holsteen, one of the 1/700 resin hulls from Henry Turner. I had to add some rails to have somewhere to tie later rigging to and repair a minor breakout while drilling a hole.