My Workbench

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

1/700 Scale Danish 60-gun Ship Holsteen

This is one of Henry Turner's resin 3D prints, the 60-gun Danish SOL Holsteen. The Holsteen was the only ship from the first battle of Copenhagen in 1801 that was taken into the British Royal Navy where she was renamed HMS Nassau.

This is a beautiful model that had some slight damage during shipping, i.e. the catheads, lanterns and a few guns were broken off. I made the necessary repairs. But the biggest challenge was to figure a way to provide tie-off points for the rigging. I had to devise railing using common staples and screen. I think it all turned out nicely. 

The rails for tie-offs I added plus a repaired breakout at a hole I tried to drill


This is my inspiration photo, the 90-gun Christian VII.

ChristianVII




Sails and standing rigging



The finished model











I am not sure what I am doing next. I will probably do some much needed reorganizing of my dungeon space first.

10 comments:

Stew said...

Indeed it did turn out nicely. 😀
Sometimes the hobby area needs a good clean out / reorganize.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Done with that! I started the laser cut wooden schooner kit my daughter gave me for Christmas. That Chinese is hard to make out!
How goes the AWI over at your place?

caveadsum1471 said...

Gorgeous looking ship! Really nice work and I like the clear base!
Best Iain

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Iain. Yes these clear bases are so much easier and faster to make than the textured sea bases I make for my 1/1200 ships.

James Fisher said...

Fantastic! Looks even better than the image that was your inspiration. I really like the addition of the longboats being towed behind.
Regards, James

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thank you James, very kind words indeed. I first modeled the towed boats back in 2012 when I started building 1/1200 ships. Forrester and O'Brian described the practice in their books when a ship went into battle.
Haha, I just read your rant on Acronyms. Sorry, SOL is Ship of the Line.
Cheers,
Vol

Stew said...

I’ve been very distracted from miniatures thanks to my new baby. Haven’t even posted in 2 months till yesterday. Sooooo, the AWI goes slowly. 😀

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Congratulations on the new boy Stew. Insomnia and painting minis are not a good thing, understandably so.

carojon said...

Hi Vol,
Very nicely done, I love it!

regards
JJ

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks JJ, it was a fun build.