My Workbench

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Navwar Spanish SOL Reina Maria Luisa

The next addition to my Spanish fleet is the Navwar version of the Santa Ana. This model is huge compared to the other brands. The Santa Ana had several sister ships, but due to inconsistencies in construction they were not all the same. The Hermenegildo was a very poor handling ship, yet three of the class became the top ships of the navy: Reina Luisa, Santa Ana, and Principe de Asturias. Since I already have the Langton Santa Ana  built, I have named this Navwar Model the Reina Luisa.

The Reina Luisa was built in Ferrol in 1791. After they laid down the keel in 1790 it was found she was 3-1/2 feet longer than the plans called for. To avoid additional costs to correct the error it was left as is and ended up actually adding to the good performance of the ship. In 1793 she was the flagship of Adm. Langara who joined Adm. Howe to occupy Toulon and later to evacuate the city.

Nominally 112 guns in 1791, by 1805 she carried 124 (threedecks.org). This model has 124 ports/guns, thus my decision to name her Reina Luisa.

Lower Gun Deck30Spanish 36-Pounder
Middle Gun Deck32Spanish 24-Pounder
Upper Gun Deck32Spanish 12-Pounder
Quarterdeck/Forecastle16Spanish 8-Pounder
Quarterdeck/Forecastle4Spanish 24-Pound Obusier
Quarterdeck/Forecastle10Spanish 36-Pound Obusier
Total broadside weight 1519.232 lbs / 646.272 kg

Like all Navwar models this build required scratch built masts and spars. But unlike most, I was able to rework the stock sails for use with some modifications. I am running low on the ratline mesh I like and can't find, so I used a larger mesh that only works for larger ships. In addition, rather than painting her like the historical Spanish Navy standard yellow and blue, I painted her the red, black, and white so popular with gamers. She is so big I could use her as the Santissima Trinidad, but I intend to order the Langton or GHQ version at some future date. Here are the photos.






And Finished









Comparison shots
With Langton Santa Ana



My fleet so far


I always appreciate comments, suggestions, and ideas.

1 comment:

El Grego said...

Very nice! I especially like your bases...