My Workbench

Monday, April 2, 2018

Davco Indefatigable & Anson Razeed 44 Gun Ships

One of my favorite built ships is the Davco 64 gun Agamemnon.  The Agamemnon was an Ardent class 64 and so was her sister ship the Indefatigable. When Indefatigable was razeed to a 44 gun ship in 1794, they only removed a deck, they did not shorten her at all. The Langton Indefatigable is shorter than the Langton Agamemnon by quite a bit and of course the Navwar Agamemnon and Indefatigable aren't even close. The Davco models match perfectly with Indefatigable being identical to the Agamemnon minus a deck. I am very happy I chose to model the Davco version of Agamemnon rather than the Langton back when I built it. I still haven' built the Langton ship and will probably build it as the Africa or another class of 64.

So back to the subject of this post. I had two of the Davco Indefatigable hulls so I built the second one as HMS Anson. Anson was a different 64 class, Intrepid, but close enough to the Ardent class with a difference of only 7-1/4 inches in length. .She was also razeed in 1794

Indefatigable:
Length of gun deck = 160'1-1/4"; Beam = 44'5"
Armament: Broadside weight = 480 lbs; Upper gun deck 26 x 24 pdrs; Quarterdeck 4 x 32 pdr carronades & 8 x 12 pdr long guns; Forecastle 4 x 12 pdr long guns & 2 x 32 pdr carronades

Anson
Length of gun deck = 159'6"; Beam = 44'4"
Armament: Broadside weight = 480 lbs; Upper gun deck 26 x 24 pdrs; Quarterdeck 4 x 32 pdr carronades & 8 x 12 pdr long guns; Forecastle 4 x 12 pdr long guns & 2 x 32 pdr carronades

Both ships had long and distinguished careers.

Anson:
As a 64: 1782 Battle of the Saintes
As a frigate: 10/19/1797 took privateer Le Zephyr; 11/17/1797 privateer sloop Le Pailleur; 12/28/97 6th rate corvette La Daphne; 2/8/98 privateer Le Jason; 6/31/98 privateer Mercure; 10/12/98 Battle of Tory Island & took 5th rte frigate La Bellone; 10/16/98 5th rte frigate Loire; 2/2/99 privateer cutter Le Boulonnois; 4/29/1800 privateer ship sloop Hardi; 6/29/00 unrated Le Gibraltar; 10/15/03 privateer La Marguerite; 8/26/06 5th rate Pamona; 1/1/07 Capture of Curacoa; 12/29/1807 wrecked

Indefatigable:
4/22/1796 Took 5th rate frigate Virginie; 6/11/96 privateer brigs Trois Couleurs & Blonde; 10/2/96 privateer schooner Revanche; 1/13/97 drave Les Droits de L'Homme ashore; 4/30/97 privateer Les Basque; 5/11/97 privateer brig Les Nouvelle Eugenie; 10/14/97 unrated cutter ranger & privateer ship L'Hyene; 1/4/98 privateer Le Vengeur; 1/16/98 privateer ship L'Inconceivable; 1/28/98 privateer ship Heureuse Nouvelle; 8/5/98 privateer ship L'Heureux; 8/7/98 6th rate corvette Danae; 12/31/98 privateer ship La Minerva; 5/31/99 privateer ship Venus; 6/99 privateer Le Vengeur; 8/25/1800 Attack on Ferrol; 10/22/00 6th rate corvette Venus; 10/5/04 Battle of Cape St. Maria; 7/31/08 privateer ship Diane; 1/14/09 privateer Clarisse; 1816 broken up

























9 comments:

Jim said...

Hey Vol,
I'm all caught up on your blog now. Really like the the corvette painting schemes you've used. Hope your health (and Rory's) is improving?
Jim

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Jim. My back will heal and I will eventually get this brace off. Rory has cancer and is putting up the good fight to stay with us. He needs the prayers of all his friends right now.

Loved your Santisima Trinidad BTW,

regards,
Vol

Jim said...

Vol,
That's sad news about Rory. I'll send as many good thoughts and prayers as I can muster his way.
Looking forward to your future posts here and hope your back heals up to 100%.
Thanks for the ST comment. Can't wait for Dave's model to arrive as I'll be working on that version of the ST next.
Btw, there is a thread on the Anchorage about frigate xebec's so I linked your build here to a post I put up there. Hope that's ok?
Jim

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Well sure Jim that's fine. I need all the press I can get now that I can't talk to folks on TMP anymore. I used to get most of my traffic from TMP when I would post something new. I still get hits from old posts from time to time. I do miss the conversations.
I am looking forward to those molded STs as well to see how they paint up. This could solve the lack of variety SOG suffers for sure. I wonder how Aries is going to react if someone starts producing ships for its game. What did he say the cost per ship was, $70?

Really good to talk to you again my friend.

Regards,
Vol

Jim said...

Yes, I knew you were off TMP due to reasons that were pretty nuts (and not your fault or choosing). I don't post there anymore, but do check in to see if there's something fun going on. Primarily Napoleonic sailing (and Pirates). :)
Dave just posted that the ST's are in the mail, so I'm expecting you'll be one of the first to get it? I don't think Ares will do anything concerning fan production of ships, stats, etc. To be honest I think they're probably close to shutting down future work on the game anyway, so it may all be a moot point? $70 per miniature production could be right?
Jim

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Jim,
I didn't order a ST hull from Dave. Did you mean you would be the first to get one? I am assuming you ordered one, right?

Jim said...

My mistake. I thought you might be getting one. That being said I might be one of the first to get one then? I'll definitely post some photos on the Anchorage. With the Aerodrome website back up I expect we wont see Dave as much anymore so his work on the Merigildos might not be completed. At least we got the Santisima Trinidad!
Jim

Stew said...

The ships came out looking great as per usual! I really dig the paint schemes as well. I’m still trying to get the deck colors right.
Everyone loves the Inde! 😀

Continue to heal as well.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thank you Stew. Have you tried Vallejo Deck Tan. I think it is about right.