My Workbench

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Two Davco 30 Gun East Indiamen

These two ships are the Davco 30 gun East Indiaman. The little flyer says "NS82 The Pitt. This model depicts a medium sized vessel which would be found on the East or West Indies Trade. Well armed and efficient, these ships often sailed alone or, if convenient, with a fast convoy. 18 x 12 pdrs & 12 x 6 pdrs."

I looked up the Pitt and found two East Indiamen with that name. The earlier one was originally a French East Indiaman named the Pondichery, captured by the Brits in 1756. It was a 30 gun ship.
The other ship was originally named Fortitude, built in 1780, and renamed Pitt in 1785. Both ships were approximately the same size but the later one was only pierced for 24 guns.

So I am modeling these two ships as the earlier ship. One as the French East Indiaman and the other as the British East Indiaman.

All the parts: The spankers are GHQ, the masts & sprit & spars are scratch

Ratlines for one ship 

Bases before the Mod Podge coat

Standing rigging done for first ship. Note I made the stay and sprit sails as the metal ones are just too heavy for the rigging.
The British ship first:



This is the Davco stern that came with the model, more British style






Here's the French ship:



Note the more rounded French/Spanish type stern I added on this one.






Both ships together:



I have one more merchant left to do; the Davco NS81 50 gun East Indiaman Lord Clive. But I am feeling a bit like doing something else sooooooooo...........

4 comments:

Stew said...

Great job. I’m kinda a fan of the French style stern, it’s just a tad more elegant. 😀
I need to get around to doing merchant ships one day, just for the target practice.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Haha, yes I guess that is what they're good for alright! I like the French style too, and the Spanish as well. I can't remember where the stern I used came from originally. It was in one of my spare parts bins.

El Grego said...

Very nice.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Greg, and it's great to see you blogging again. Anxious to see what you do with those ironclads you bought