I have kicked around the idea of making cloth sails for sometime now. I found some tight weave white cloth at a fabric store a while back that has been aging in my supply drawer, so I decided to give it a shot. I used the same 3rd rate sail stencil that I use to make my usual paper sails to trace out the sails on the cloth. I also drew in the sew lines with a sharp pencil before I cut them out.
|A shot of the cloth I used after I cut out the sails|
To shape the sails I mixed some watered down PVA glue with a dollop of Country Twill paint and a drop of Antique White. I dipped each sail into the mix then let the excess drip off. Then I draped them over a set of larger 1/450 scale sails from a Victory plastic kit I haven't built yet.
The pencil sew lines showed through pretty well after they dried.
In this picture there are three completed jib and fore staysails and three staysails I decided to add still in process. Note that I forgot to draw in the sew lines before the dip. I just penciled them in lightly after they dried and I couldn't really tell a difference.
|Spars glued and tied to the mizzenmast then the sails are tied on.|
|Spars attached to the foremast|
|The first half of the standing rigging is strung before the ratlines and staysails are added.|
|All of the sails and standing rigging is on.|
The running rigging, flagging and removal of the acrylic base's plasti seal film are the last things before completion.
I've been thinking a lot about book nooks lately so I don't know at this point what will be next.