My Workbench

Thursday, November 17, 2022

1/700 British 22-gun Snow HMS Ontario

Ontario was built on Carleton Island in the St Lawrence River during the American Revolutionary War. Launched 10 May 1780, she operated under the Provincial Marine as an armed transport. At the time, Ontario was the largest British warship on the Great Lakes. She was use to ferry troops, supplies and prisoners from one remote part of New York to another until she sank in a storm on 31 October 1780. Ontario never saw battle. Her fame is due to being found in remarkably good shape at a depth of 500 feet or 150 meters in June of 2008.

  • Class sixth rate two masted snow
  • Length 80'
  • Beam 25'
  • 226 tons burthen
  • Complement 130
  • Armament 22 cannon

This model is another one of Henry Turner Miniatures 3D sculpts printed on my Creality Ender 5 Pro. Everything but the hull and boat is scratch built.

Original Plan Drawing of Ontario

Inspiration Painting















6 comments:

Jonathan Freitag said...

Vol, you have made another masterpiece with so much of the model scratchbuilt. If I had your talent and 3D printer, I would be building fleets for Trafalgar.

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

And that would be fantastic Jon, then I would have someone to play with!
Thank you for the kind words. Did you see the last two I built? Le Bucentaure and Diane?

Jonathan Freitag said...

I did see your last two beauties. I thought I commented???

Well, if you ever want someone to push your fine collection of ships over the table in a game, let me know. I am standing by the phone...

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Haha, no I didn't see any

caveadsum1471 said...

I echo Jonathan's comments, another masterpiece, she looks great!
Best Iain

A Miniatures Hobby Room said...

Thanks Iain, much appreciated