My Workbench

Monday, November 7, 2022

1/700 Le Bucentaure 80 Gun French Ship of the Line

Late last month Henry Turner, of Turner Miniatures, asked if I would be willing to paint a couple of new ships for his upcoming Age of Admirals: Blood on the Nile Kickstarter. Of Course I said yes, Henry and I go way back. He asked if I could do Tonnant, Le Bucentaure or the frigate Diane. I chose Bucentaure and Diane. He sent me the prototype STL files and we were in business. Diane was first and printed beautifully.

FDM file print of French frigate Diane

Next I printed Bucentaure. In the Zip folder Henry sent me there was a FDM file and a Resin file. I wanted to see what differences there were so I sliced the resin file and printed it as well. The resin file also printed beautifully and was a little more detailed than the FDM version, specifically at the stem of the hull. 

FDM in the back and the Resin version in front. Both printed on my FDM machine

I chose to build the more detailed Resin version.

I have already built a 1/1200 version of the Bucentaure where I included the ship's history and armament so I won't repeat it here.

The painting above and this one were my inspiration paintings:


My artist daughter assured me that this ochre brown was the best match for the stipe in the painting.

These were the 'beauty' shots of the painted hull I sent Henry for his Kickstarter campaign adds.







I used a set of third rate masts I had previously built for a Temeraire class 74 to save time.


Even though there was a time constraint, I still determined to put cloth sails on such a gorgeous hull model!



And the finished shots that went into the Kickstarter adds.











Shortly I will be posting the finished French frigate Diane.


1 comment:

caveadsum1471 said...

Gorgeous looking ship!
Best Iain